Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has had a COVID-19 scare as police charge a man with making death threats against her and the state’s chief health officer.
Ms Palaszczuk took a coronavirus test after losing her voice earlier this week.
Treasurer Cameron Dick told reporters the premier’s results had come back negative.
“The premier lost her voice … she had a COVID test that came back negative, so she’s done the right thing, she’s listened to the health advice, she’s obeyed the science and the science that informs the health advice and that’s the appropriate thing for Queenslanders to do,” Mr Dick said.
Meanwhile, a 43-year-old Gold Coast man has been charged over death threats which saw Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young go under police protection last week.
Police raided a Nerang property overnight and arrested the man, who is set to face Southport Magistrates Court on October 7.
He has been charged with one count of using a carriage service to make a threat to kill.
“The premier and the chief health officer spend every waking hour working out how they can keep Queenslanders safe,” Mr Dick said.
“It is absolutely reprehensible that anyone would think of doing harm to these two very fine Queenslanders.”
It comes as the federal government continued to pressure Queensland into doubling its cap on international arrivals in hotel quarantine.
The Commonwealth wants states to boost the number of returning Australians from 4000 to 6000 a week in a bid to rescue more of the 25,000 people stranded abroad.
Ms Palaszczuk has flagged her agreement in principle, saying it was “imperative” that as many Australians be brought back as possible.
But Queensland Health Minister Steven Miles told reporters the federal government should take more responsibility over the cost and management of hotel quarantine.
“What has always struck me as strange is why the federal government doesn’t have a role to play in quarantining international arrivals.”
The decision to shut international borders was taken by the Morrison government, he said, while the job of hotel quarantine had been left “entirely to the states”.
Mr Miles said the system has been “massively resource-intensive” on the state’s police and health systems but Queensland had received no financial aid for its efforts.
“If the federal government wanted to put on the table a process for better resourcing international arrivals I’m sure we’d welcome that.”
He also accused Prime Minister Scott Morrison of ignoring health advice from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee when drafting a definition of a coronavirus hotspot.
The authority recommends a period of 28 days free of community transmission before reopening borders.
“If you’re going to have experts then you have to at least consider their advice,” Mr Miles said.
“You can’t reject their advice before it even gets considered by national cabinet, which appears to be what Scott Morrison has done here.”
His comments come as health authorities consider reopening to ACT visitors by the end of the month.
“We will look at the feasibility of the ACT given their long period of no transmission, but that’s challenging given they’re enveloped by NSW,” Mr Miles said.
NSW is currently investigating one potential community infection recorded overnight which could be a false-positive.
Just one new coronavirus case was recorded in Queensland on Thursday, an Ipswich Hospital worker who was already in quarantine, with 27 cases currently active.
Australian Associated Press